Monday, August 19, 2013

  This missing post from last week has a good shot of the front end:  pre-hacksaw.  The front end, slimmed down somewhat, has the alloy wheels with new spindles, and a even lighter steering setup with ht. adjustment.   

The Tanktrike Lives!!! It rides!!!

The Tanktrike Lives.  Dusk on the last day of our trip, Ian test rode it with a unpadded wooden seat form on it.  Brakes work, chain stayed on, steered ok. 
My short term help Gordon who installed the tensioner on the chain.

Next steps:  finish seat, tweak steering, create rear rack/fender,

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Back on Track? This is the latest version of the rear end. The custom seat design is yet to be completed.

 This is the latest version of the rear end with the new FSA bottom bracket and the Xtracycle frame extension.  Tomorrow, I will have the drive train complete and a field test ready tanktrike.  The custom seat design is yet to be completed.  I think it's time to take some measurements.  

Sunday, August 4, 2013

The positives!

The front end now has 20"alloy wheels, an even lighter steerer setup, and brand new spindles.  I have the new rear wheel with shifter etc.  I also have a pile of materials for doing a cool seat. including the black banana seat with a sissy bar.  My brother is coming in next week and I want to have this beast ready!

The new vision !#?%&* ?! or the down and dirty

This project has just had the 40% of the damn thing junked! The parts shown and a rear wheel are basically all that is left.  


The silver and blue frame in this picture will supply the new back half, though I might save the bottom bracket, crankset and rear brakeset.  I'm fairly sure this next step will solve the major problems and a least make it ridable.  This is assuming the new frame fits!  Wish me luck.  I'm waiting once again for delivery of Tanktrike parts.
 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Forced back to the drawing board!

My efforts to solve the bottom  bracket ht. issue by adding the section of frame from the Mixte frame were a failure. The change introduced way to much flex in the frame and I can't figure a way to fix it.  I'm probably going to find a larger rear suspension frame and use that instead of two frame sections bolted together.  I haven't been able to find a cheap frame of the type that matches the setup from the pivot point and has the bottm bracket in the right place.   

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

frame picture-assembly details

Taking tonight off!.  I'm wiped out.  The picture is the new rear section of the Tank Trike shown upside down.  I cut the rear off of a Mixte frame and cut the chainstays in front of the kickstand plate.  I also cut the bottom of the seat tube off to make installing this easier.  This will be bolted to the remainder of the existing piece of the kids suspension bike at both kickstand plates.  The lower seat stay bolts to the brake bridge and the seat tube will be through bolted to the original false seat tube of the suspension bike.   more picture to follow during the next 2-3 days, scout's honor !