Friday, July 25, 2014

I have completed a project: a low adapted trike for my students.

This trike is a front wheel drive, rear wheel steer trike.  It is made from parts from two different "Big Wheel" style trikes.  The front end was restored after almost being consumed by rust.  It was left laying out after being covered in salt water during Hurricane Sandy.  The frame length is adjustable to allow it to comfortably fit kids of various sizes.  I teach in a school with special education high school students, some of whom have issues that prevent them from ever riding a regular bike.  I think in this picture, it is set up for a person around 5' 10".  I will probably shorten the extra tubing that sticks out the back and reconnect the brake.  I'm not worried about the brake as it will rarely be used anywhere  but in the gym and it's fairly slow.  Cutting the extra tubing would make it a tad lighter.   

No comments:

Post a Comment